Microsoft announced a series of exciting new offerings on Azure Disks at Ignite Conference today. Here is a quick summary of the Ignite releases:
Ultra SSD: New Azure Managed Disks offering for your most latency-sensitive workloads
Microsoft announced the Public Preview of Ultra SSD: a new Azure Managed Disks offering for your most IO-intensive and latency-sensitive workloads.
Ultra SSDs can deliver unprecedented and extremely scalable performance with sub-millisecond latency:
- Choose a disk size from 4GiB up to 64 TiB
- Achieve the optimal performance you need per disk even at low storage capacities
- Scale performance beyond 80000 IOPS and throughput up to 2 GB/s per disk.
Public Preview: Greater storage capacity and performance with new Azure Disks SKUs
They announced the Public Preview of new Azure Managed Disks SKUs with greater storage capacity and increased performance. Microsoft is materially increasing the sizes and throughput associated with the Azure Managed Disks offerings. Specifically:
- All existing Azure Managed Disk offerings (Premium SSD, Standard SSD and Standard HDD) will now feature 8, 16 and 32 TiB disk sizes
- Premium SSD performance will now reach up to 20,000 IOPS and 750MBps
Azure Standard SSD Managed Disks now Generally Available
Microsoft announced the general availability of Standard SSD: a cost-effective Azure Managed Disks offering optimized for low IOPS workloads that need consistent performance.
Standard SSDs deliver better availability, consistency, reliability and latency compared to HDD Disks, and are well suited for Web servers, low IOPS application servers, lightly used enterprise applications and Dev/Test workloads. With larger Azure Managed Disks sizes now in Public Preview, you can also leverage Standard SSD for big-data workloads that require high throughput.
General availability pricing for Standard SSD Managed Disks sizes E10-E50 will be effective November 1, 2018. Learn more.